Wednesday, February 24, 2010

BEHIND THE SCENES: GRAYCE by MOLLY SIMS

My first interaction with model/actress/designer Molly Sims was a brief conversation at Cosmopolitan Magazine. I was a fashion assistant, and Molly was modeling. I told her that I was traveling to California but wasn't really familiar with LA. Without hesitation she gave me her phone number, told me to call her and that she would have suggestions ready for me. I was moved by her kindness and I've been a fan of hers ever since. 

Now, 12 years later she's done something even dearer to my heart... she designed a jewelry line for HSN!

Here are a few gems I'm crazy for:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had the pleasure of catching up with her last week, and she told me about the line, all her hard work and the happiness it's brought. 

Accessory Source: What made you want to start a line?
Molly Sims: My mom has been collecting jewelry for over 30 years -- her passion became my passion. When I first starting acting, I had a hard time getting people to lend me clothes for red carpets and events. My mom would give me her jewelry to wear. She's been a big part Grayce, and she calls me everyday with ideas.

AS:Why the name Grayce?
MS: My mom always use to say to me, "No matter how old you are, it doesn't matter if you're 60, 5 or 20, you should always be graceful and grateful." I've been hearing that for over 30 years.

AS: Are you involved in every detail?
MS: Every detail!! I'm doing it all, booking hair and makeup, photographers -- you name it!

AS: It's so annoying to me when celebs just slap their names on a line without working on it. What are your thoughts on that?
MS: That was one of my biggest worries. My parents were honest and hard working people. I learned from them, and I'm not just going to put my name on anything. The best thing is that I've used my modeling, acting, travel, eclecticism and southern roots in the line. It's everything I am. And it's great to see something through from beginning, middle and end. I've never been a part of the whole process before.
It takes a lot of work to get quality and a really good price.

AS: What's your favorite trend right now?
MS: Mixed metals. I love wearing hematite with gold and silver.
AS: I'm obsessed with that too.

AS: Do all your friends want a piece from the line?
MS: Are you kidding? The personal orders are stacking up!

AS: Do you have any advice on how people should wear their jewelry? 
MS: Have a friend tell you when something is too much. If you're going to wear a lot of bracelets, it looks more chic and modern to stack them on one arm, and don't wear them higher than the length of your hand. Mix the sizes -- wear a small one, then big, then small. It's a good way to mix high- and low-end. I mix everything!

AS: Are you always wearing the line?
MS: I wear something everyday, but I mix it up. Jewelry is my accessory. Don't get me wrong -- I love shoes, but jewelry is my thing.

AS: What do you see going forward?
MS: I got a deal to do a high-end line for Bendels, but everything will be under $250. 

AS: Did you ever think during your J.Crew modeling days that this is what you would be doing?
MS: Never! I took a picture of the window at Henri Bendel recently because I was so excited.
AS: Were your pieces in it?
MS: No! I was just so excited that I was going to be and it made my mother proud. It's nice to be excited and passionate about something. I've been wearing so many hats with the line, but it's different when you're doing it for yourself -- you want to do it right. I'm enjoying where I am right now, and I get to use what I've learned about entertainment, photography and fashion in this. It's amazing to think about where I started. I like being a good role model and sharing this with my mom. It's been a bonding experience.

Now I think you can see why I've always been a fan. She's a down-to-earth southern belle with charm and yes.... grace.

Molly and her beautiful baubles will be on HSN tomorrow, February 25th from 12pm-2pm and 9pm-11pm.  It's a must see!

4 comments:

  1. Great interview! Her jewelry line looks intriguing... will check it out tomorrow night on HSN (my new fave after you raved about it in a previous entry). Once again, thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love her pieces (especially the crystal bangle!)- I think they are very vintage (yet current). I have actually purchased jewelry from HSN before and would definitely check it out for this line in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXACTLY the kind of interview I love - finding out how someone gets started.

    Molly's got a great story, and you weaving in your first encounter, makes her jewelry all the more interesting.

    How do I buy the Crystal Ball ring for my friend?

    Kenneth Jay Lane! Molly Sims! Who's next?!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post! I sure did tune in to HSN -- and if was incredible! Brava, Molly Sims, brava!

    ReplyDelete