Sunday, April 26, 2009

R.I.P. BEA

Why the mourning garb?
Sadly, actress Bea Arthur passed away this weekend. 
I think I can speak for all Golden Girls fanatics 
when I say, "Dorothy, thank you for being a friend!" 

Ever since I bought the DVDs, I have been obsessively 
watching episode after episode, sometimes even while 
eating cheesecake. I've been wanting to write about the 
adornments donned by the Golden Goddesses, and 
I can't think of a more appropriate time than now.

Dorothy had arguably the most distinctive style of all the girls.  
She took menswear to another level. Standing at 5'10'' everything 
about her was exaggerated. She wore loose, heavily draped 
clothing, big shoulder pads and bulky earrings. Unexpectedly, 
she also rocked a large Native American ring. 

When she wasn't in her negligee, sex pot Blanche Devereaux 
pranced around in supreme accessories -- nude high heels, 
chain-link purses and large dangling earrings. 
The vixen was ahead of her time!

Saint Olof native Rose Nylund kept her baubles to 
basics (think pearl necklaces, hoop earrings and a thin watch)
with her waist-cinched dresses.

Sophia was rarely seen without her oversize specs and dual-handle 
handbag (oddly, except in these photos). The wise-cracking 
Sicilian really is straight-up Brooklyn. 

This show was ahead of its time.  In my opinion, it was the first 
Sex and the City, only better. The actresses were incredible, 
the writing was brilliant and the costuming was smart. 

You'll be missed, Pussycat!

No comments:

Post a Comment